Friday, July 9, 2010

Mary, How Does Your Garden Grow...

Every morning, and several times a day, I check my garden to see what's ready for harvesting. This is our first official garden since we now have the space in our new home. I loved being in my grandfather's garden as a child. He grew tomatoes, green beans, wax beans, asparagus, and I think some squash...It's been a long time. He also had a few apple trees that I played hide-and-seek underneath and snacked while hiding. I attribute my love of fruit and vegetables to the time spent at my grandparents' house. I knew whenever I was there, there was always something fresh to picked and transformed into the family meals. I remember being hungry late one night (after the Merv Griffin show) and asking my grandmother for something to eat, expecting some cheese and crackers or some other convenient snack. Instead she went to the stove and prepared warm homemade applesauce from the apples in the backyard she had picked earlier that day. I had to be no more than 4, definitely before grade school, but I remember how special it was and that memory sticks with me today. I think it's important to teach our children the process from seed, to fruit, to table and the self reliance of being able to grow it yourself.
My scaredy cat, Mabel, carefully watches me garden and makes sure the plants don't get more attention than her.

No comments:

Post a Comment